Table of Contents
- Educational Technology Leadership Cadre Meetings
- Great News and Updates
- Grants and Funding
- Educational Technology Gems
Our next meeting is this Thursday, March 15th, at Independence Elementary School, 8435 Victoria Ave., South Gate, CA 9028 Thanks to Mr. Diaz, principal of Independence Elementary, and all those at Independence that offered to host our meeting at their school.
3:45 - 4:00 - News and Updates
4:00 - 4:45 - Presentation by Brad Krey, Program Coordinator from PORTS, connecting you with opportunities for exciting field trips to California State Parks through videoconferencing.
4:45 - 5:00 - Social Bookmarking presentation
5:00 - 5:15 - Collaboration and Discussion
Our final two meetings are: April 19th at Bell HS and May 17th at SouthEast HS.
Great News and Updates
Educators in Local District 6 are awesome! Several teachers in our district have some great news.
- Joan Dooley's high school students from Bell High School won 4 out of the 5 statewide high school awards at the recent 2007 Media Arts Competition. Her students will be attending the Awards Ceremony at the Orange County Digital Media Center in Anaheim, CA on March 22nd. Kudos to her and her students! Joan's students will not only be showcasing at the upcoming Infotech, but are also representing Local District 6 in the High School Student Competition. Go team!
- Joseph Gresko from South East High School is a recent recipient of the Best Buy Teach Awards. He will be using the grant money to purchase materials for his project based learning using digital images in geometry. Come see the great work he is doing with students at the upcoming InfoTech conference.
- Students in the classrooms of Silvio Vidal and Mike Albert at South Gate Middle School virtually traveled to Sacramento via a PORTS video conference to have a conversation with Assemblymember Hector de la Torre. Read more on South Gate Middle School's website.
Grants and Funding
From e-School News
- Invent America Contest
There are 1st - 3rd place prizes and an Honorable Mention prize. The learning and recognition for creative inventing is reason enough to enter this contest. Deadline for Invention submissions: June 15th, 2007
- ING Unsung Heros
Each year, 100 winners are selected to receive $2,000 grants to help fund their innovative class projects. Three of those will be selected to win the top three awards of $25,000, $10,000 and $5,000. Deadline: April 30th, 2007
Educational Technology Gems
- Google Lit Trips - This teacher has used Google Earth to design learning journeys for great works of literature. Try it out. It's a new way to authentically study literature. Excellent! Read about the teacher and his work at the Infinite Thinking Machine blog.
- CUE Podcasts - Did you miss CUE, but really would like to have been there? CUE Podcasts are one way to virtually attend the conference. There are two podcasts.
The first is from Infinite Thinking Machine, called CUE Live, a series of interviews from key leaders at the conference. Also included is an interview with students at the Student Showcase.
The other podcast is the CUE Podcast Network, where soon there will be published a series of short workshops from CUE. In the meantime, there are other great podcast episodes to enjoy at this site.
ITAF, LAUSD Local District 6, Office of Instruction
E-mail: janice.stearns (at) lausd.net
ITAF, Instructional Technology Branch, in support of Local District 6
E-mail: paulburns (at) lausd.net
To fundamentally improve the interaction between the teacher and the student to create critical thinkers prepared to participate in a diverse and complex society.
If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, please notify me.